Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Before

So you know how big weight loss programs show the before and after? Right. Same deal here.

I want to write a post real quickly that highlights my expectations and thoughts about this upcoming year so that, months later, I can look back and realize how wrong they were.

Language: I'm jumping headfirst into a language that I speak conversationally. I'm barely fluent in Spanish and know enough to get through a conversation at a bar or over dinner. Ask me about politics and I will struggle a bit. That's okay though! Basically, I expect to dive into the spanish language and start speaking as much as humanly possible. My reading comprehension is much better (now that I've been practicing). My listening is going to need work and my writing is going to take up a good portion of my time. Suffice to say: I'm going to be asking people to repeat what they said and missing a ton of accent marks on my letters.

Culture: This one's a little tricky. I've generally found that reading about a culture and experiencing it are two completely different things. I'll be in the northern part so I'm exposed to more Quechua. I expect to encounter more of the traditional Quechuan culture, but also the Peruvian world. Weddings are a big, big deal. Funerals too. The family stays together well after the children are adult-age. Sports are common throughout and most people walk or take taxis everywhere. In fact, buses are common to travel long distances.

A traditional Pisco Sour
Food: This one I'm most excited for. Peru has been known to some of the most diverse cuisine in the world! Peruvian dishes include Anticuchos, Alpaca, Ceviche, and my personal interest: Cuy. Peru is home to the almighty Potato (Americans worship that plan in its many forms.) I love eating and trying new things so I can't say how excited I am to see a new palate. Now, I will be in the northern part so I'm much less likely to eat Alpaca or ceviche (since I am not even close to the coast or the mountains). I can tell you I can't wait to try a Pisco sour. 

Weather: I gotta admit: I'm also super stoked for this one. Generally throughout Peru the highs are like 85 degrees (Farenheit of course). The lows are like mid-60's? That's the kind of weather Californians won't stop bragging about to me. It's paradise. The seasons up north are rainy and less-rainy. So, I'm bringing a rain jacket. Here's my (rather narrow minded) assumption: being closer to the rainforest makes me assume it will be way more humid there. I don't think I'll be bringing any winter jackets with me on this trip.

Home sweet home for the next eleven months of my life.

Church: This one is the most comforting to me. We all worship for the same reasons: to give thanks, remind ourselves of the power of God, ask for prayers. Some denominations confess their sins and feel relieved, others have to work for their forgiveness. Either way we're all worshipping together. I'm excited to be worshipping in Spanish. I'm hoping to hear more spanish melodies and flamenco-influenced music (another assumption is that flamenco is a huge thing all over the Latin world. I could be wrong.) I'll admit, I'm not entirely sure what denomination my host family is. I assumed they are Presbyterian since they're hosting a Presbyterian but that's a pretty big assumption. Either way, I'm okay with that. They are choosing to host me, so I abide by their rules.

Daily Living: This one is the most up in the air. It's also the one I'm least concerned with. I trust myself, my site coordinator (the lovely Jenny Valles, more on her later), and my host family to help us all reach homeostasis this year. I don't honestly know if there is internet at the house (something I was warned is not always common). I don't know (or assume) their will be air conditioning. Both of those things I've lived without so it doesn't matter too much to me. I read that breakfast is usually small, lunch is a packed meal (nothing big), and dinner is the big meal. Okay! I'm in! I read that eating out is uncommon during the weekdays, but on the weekends the whole family will get together and eat a meal. My main concern now is working out. I'm sure I can figure it all out, I'm just curious how that's going to change. I workout like 5 or 6 times a week so there will be a major adjustment regarding my physical activity.
I can't wait to eat one of these rascals

These are all things that I spend my nights googling to research and discover. I read books about life there constantly and prepare myself as best I can. Thankfully I know I can adapt and figure it out. None of these things are deal breakers. I'm going to love it in Peru. That's my major assumption. One I know will come true. So in roughly four weeks when I've moved in with my host family and settled in to work I can look back and laugh at how wrong I was.

For all of you interested in visiting the country here are some helpful websites I used during my research:
Moyobamba Home Site
National Geographic - Top 10 things to Eat in Peru
Wikipedia Moyobamba Page
      ^ (Cause what college research would be complete without a Wikipedia search)
Lonely Planet Moyobamba Peru Guide
The CIA's factbook on the country of Peru

 - Daniel Pappas -


No comments:

Post a Comment