Tuesday, July 19, 2016

This Is NOT My Last Blog Post

So, allow me to be clear on this because I think there's a little confusion. This blog isn't quite done yet. There is still one or two last things to write. I am, in fact, not done with South America. I have my last retreat in Paracas for the next five days and then starting July 24th I will strap on a single backpack and visit many exciting and wonderful places throughout Peru and South America.

Allow me to be clear: August 26th I fly home to Dallas. August 26th there will be one last blog post. I have been planning this post for quite some time and I almost have all the words I need to write it. The only thing I'm missing is the time. August 26th will be that time and I promise you that is when the blog retires for good!

Every YAV right now can tell you we all feel pretty similar. It's the end of the YAV year and things are wrapping up. We all want to talk about how much we've grown, the relationships we've made. I did that not too long ago. But for me now, after leaving Moyobamba and facing a rather large backpacking trip I have to face forward or risk getting a little lost. So, instead of looking back I want to look forward a bit.

Well, to start off with I have this big trip planned! I'm going to Peru, Bolivia, Buenos Aires, Iguazu, São Paulo, and Rio de Janeiro. I've spent a year planning this trip and I've asked myself all the questions you might have. Here's what I will say about this trip: this is very certainly the last chance I will have to take 4 weeks out of my life and travel. Adult life, when it comes, is going to occupy my attention and everyone I have talked to says that you don't get a ton of time to yourself. Rio de Janeiro has been a place I've always wanted to visit ever since I was a little kid (and yes, I have my eyes on the news regularly - I know what's going on there.) My parents have whole-heartedly supported me in doing this trip. I'll also add that this is a good chance to change my scenery and I often reflect/meditate best when I travel. I'm hoping it might have the added effect of helping me process this experience.

Going home - I've seen part of a blank slate and part of a resuming my old life. I asked Jed what the biggest thing newly christened YAV alums have to deal with. He explained to me that recent YAVs will often find things that trigger their memories or emotions (days, weeks, or months down the line) and the person they turn to might be able to listen but not truly empathize. I can imagine hearing those words "When I was in Peru..." Can get very old. My plan is to find coping mechanisms for these moments and to explain to everyone that I may talk about Peru a LOT but I need them to be patient with me.

There is the prospect of being a grown adult as well. Job, apartment, career pursuits, dating, etc. all of that I can more than confidently deal with since my safety net of family and friends will always be there. The adult life actually doesn't worry me.

Church. I have so much respect and appreciation for my home church. Maybe it's nostalgia, but there's a folksy element that's honest and true about my church back home I miss. The slight Texas twangs and the ever-revolving slight congregational drama are just parts of it. I also miss the biscuits and gravy, sausage patty, and breakfast burrito breakfasts. I miss it all and I have to structure my life so I can satisfy this emotion without ruining the reverie or overextending myself. I also owe so much to Grace Presbytery and the Synod of the Sun that I am being 110% sincere when I say I would like to help however I can. I hope they recognize that I have learned a LOT about being a servant and would enjoy continuing that process with whatever work they have.

These are the things I look forward to the most. Sure, all the food and drinks I've been missing out on, but that can wait. It can wait 5 more weeks. On Auguzt 26th I will salivate. Until then I look forward to Train Graveyards on deserts of salt, tango dance halls after churrascaria skewers, Christ the Redeemer watching climb step after step to reach to the top. I have a few adventures left in me. You might not hear from me until August 26th but understand - this is not the end right here. That will come soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment